[R] R numeric string problem

Andrew C acarrig1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 18:43:41 CEST 2009

Hi,

I have a text (.dat) file, in which each row contains several long numeric
strings.  One of the strings is 38 digits long, for example:

03200801200801172008011720092904008901

When I read in the data file, this string shows up as 3.200801e+36.  To get
rid of the scientific notation, I used "options(scipen=999)."  When I did
this, the scientific notation went away, but the numeric string was
incorrect.  It showed as:

3200801200801172223262666846080882062

Why would the number be incorrect?  All of the other strings within this row
are correct.

Thanks,

Andrew