[R] nominal to numeric function

Noah Silverman noah at smartmediacorp.com
Wed Aug 12 20:09:12 CEST 2009

Hi,

Thanks for the tip,

Neither method works as my data is truly nominal

-------------------------------------
foo <- c("blue", "red", "green")
as.numeric(foo)
[1] NA NA NA
Warning message:
NAs introduced by coercion
------------------------------------

Rapid Miner has a function that will automatically create an "index" of
the values and create a new variable (or replace the existing).  It also
has a second function that will break the nominal labels into n variable
that are binary:

i.e.

red(0,1)
blue(0,1)
green(0,1)

Or,  I guess I could go back to the source that generates my data and
institute a numeric key for the nominal items.  That seems like the
longest way, but probably the safest to get what I want.

-N