[R] tick.number in ggplot2?

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Thu Aug 13 22:50:42 CEST 2009

  Another dumb ggplot2 question:

  a facet plot with free x scale, lots of
different ranges, want to specify that the
x axis ticks be sparse -- only 2 or 3.  I was
about to say that I could figure out how to manually
set the ticks for each facet if necessary, but now
that I've looked around some more (at scale_continuous,
facet_grid, facet_wrap, the Book ...) I think I can't
even do that.  Looking at http://had.co.nz/ggplot2/facet_grid.html
and searching for "free" will show the problem I'm
trying to solve -- in the first few plots you come to that
way, the middle plots (corresponding to 6-cylinder engines)
have scrunched/overlapping x axis labels.
  I guess turning the x axis labels vertically would be
another solution, but I'd rather just make the ticks
sparser if there were a way to do that ...

  cheers
    Ben Bolker

--
Ben Bolker
Associate professor, Biology Dep't, Univ. of Florida