[R] RODBC does not like table names >11/12 characters

Stefan Uhmann stefan.uhmann at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 14 14:12:34 CEST 2009

Hi List,

I used to access a Paradox database using RODBC, but since last week I
am not able anymore to fetch any table which has a name longer than 11
or 12 characters.

Here is the the pattern of my code, nothing spectacular:

library(RODBC)
channel2<-odbcDriverConnect('DSN=xxx')
#table names with up to 11 characters still work
sqlFetch(channel2, 'abcdefghijk')
#table names with 13 or more characters do not
sqlFetch(channel2, 'abcdefghijklm')
Fehler in odbcTableExists(channel, sqtable) :
   ‘abcdefghijklm’: table not found on channel

I do not have any tables with 12 character names, to check where exactly
the borderline is. Of course, the table ‘abcdefghijklm’ exist on the
channel, even if I feed it directly t osqlFetch via

sqlFetch(channel2, sqlTables(channel2)$TABLE_NAME[x])

I think it has to do with a recent update.packages(), i.e. with an
update of RODBC, but I do not know how to use an old RODBC version to
test this. Any suggestions, for example how to rre-install an old package?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Stefan