[R] RGoogleDocs: getDocs() - "problems connecting to get the list of documents"

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Fri Aug 14 16:35:57 CEST 2009

Hi Matthew

You mentioned in mail direclty to me that this code worked
earlier in your morning. So that suggests that it is not
the code. But you should look carefully at the 2 lines
you ran (i.e. the ones below) and painstakingly check
that the user name and password are the same. It is
easy to overlook a one character difference.

But assuming that the code really is the same and is still
not working, let's try to figure out ways of checking what is wrong.
One thing to do is to log into GoogleDocs via your browser. Then
take a look at some of the spreadsheets you have there.
Then return to R and try the commands again.
Clearly if there is a problem with accessing GoogleDocs and
the spreadsheets in your browser, then that is the problem.
One some services (e.g. Flickr and the Rflickr pacage)
you must use the browser once or periodically to grant programmatic
access. I can't remember if that is an issue with GoogleDocs.

Another thing to do is

   options(error = recover)
   getWorksheets("formname", sheets.con)

and when the error occurs (in getDocs()), you will be in
the error handling and have the stack of function calls
available. Select the largest number to have an R prompt
that is in the getDocs() call frame. Then type

    status

to show the value of the R variable named status.
Also type

which contains the body of the HTTP response.

If you send these to me, we might have a lead on what is wrong.

  D.