[R] Building 'R' from source for Windows.

rkevinburton at charter.net rkevinburton at charter.net
Sun Aug 16 01:00:33 CEST 2009

Thank you for looking into this. It turns out the problem was "You are misinterpreting R_HOME.  . . " I thought R_HOME was were I installed R not the directory where I was trying to compile the source. Once I moved the "extra" stuff that RTools.exe installed in what I thought was the R installation directory to where I was trying to cimpile the R source it became apparent what I had done wrong. Thanks again.

But unfortunately this brings up two more questions. One the function or project that I would like to start debugging is in appl (I would like to step into the L-LBFGSB lbfgsb.c code). The documentation that was with the RTools code mentioned that if I built a package like 'make DEBUG=T package' it would insert -gdwarf-2 in the compiler swtiches and that would allow be to set a breakpoint. Well I am not sure if the fact that this is not a package if that is why it didn't work but if I go to the appl directory and enter 'make DEBUG=T', I don't see gcc called with -gdwarf-2. If I go to the gnuwin32 directory and try to build all of 'R' like 'make DEBUG=T all recommended' I see the -gdwarf=2 flag added to compilation of each file. But I would rather not add debugging information to all the source in R. Any suggestions?

The second question is kind of like 'Where do I go from here?'. From the instructions I get that I probably need to use 'Inno' to build an installation. Hopefully once the first problem is solved this installation will have debugging symbols where I need them. If I run the resultant self-extracting installer will that just overwrite my R installation and now I debug with that?

Again, thanks for the additional tips. It has been a long time since I last debugged with anything other than Windows Visual Studio and this will take some getting used to.

Kevin