[R] Embedding lists in matrices and matrices in lists

Michael Kogan michael.kogan at gmx.net
Tue Aug 18 10:48:10 CEST 2009

Hi,

I'm new to programming, new to R and even new to mailing lists so please
be patient with me. I need to manage many matrices generated by an R
program. These matrices have different dimensions and I'd like to group
them somehow. The best way would be to have a big matrix (let's call it
database) where every element database[x,y] consists of a list of
matrices that all have the dimensions ncol(matrix1)=x and
nrow(matrix1)=y. So those matrices have to be embedded into lists and
the lists have to be embedded in the big database matrix. If I simply try

    database=matrix(0,10,10)
    database[4,4]=c(matrix1,matrix2)

I get

    Error in database[4, 4] = c(matrix1, matrix2) :
      number of items to replace is not a multiple of replacement length
    Execution halted

which makes sense of course... Is there any possibility to make this
work? Or maybe there is a better way to organize those matrices?

Regards,
Michael