[R] transformation/link glm in R

Mcdonald, Grant grant.mcdonald08 at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Aug 18 12:52:51 CEST 2009

Dear sir,

I have 3 different time response variables that are in the form seconds.  All three response variables are not normally distributed.  They are in the form of mate latency,  the first two responses are bounded to 30mins and thwe third is bounded to 8 hours.  Frequency plots of raw data show that the first two are heavily skewed to the left and the third (bounded at 8hrs) is heavily skwewed to the right with most data points being 8 hours long.  I am unsure of using the appropriate transformations in R and have only found appropriate trandformations for count data (glm(time~x*x1*x2, family=poisson) and proportion data (glm(time~x*x1*x2, family=binomial).  Would it be possible to point me in the right direction of the appropriate glm family to use for such data or should I use some transformation seperately and use anova in R of which i am more confident of the code

Sorry if this is an innapropriate question but I would greatly  appreciate advise,

G. Colin