[R] Installing quantreg package under Ubuntu

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Tue Aug 18 20:34:50 CEST 2009

There are some gotchas buried in the Depends: line for
R-base-core, which all the other R-base* packages depend
upon.  It says it depends on lapack or atlas but installing
libatlas-base-dev does not make a /usr/lib/liblapack.so so
sequence
   aptitude install libatlas-base-dev
   aptitude install r-base-dev
(on a freshly installed Ubuntu) results in Frank's problem
(fire up R and install.packages("quantreg")
fails because the linker cannot resolve -llapack.
Purging atlas package and reinstalling r-base-dev fixes
things so the desired /usr/lib/lliblapack.so is used.

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software Inc - Spotfire Division
wdunlap tibco.com