[R] scale or not to scale that is the question - prcomp

Petr PIKAL petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Wed Aug 19 15:02:49 CEST 2009

Thank you

Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> napsal dne 19.08.2009 14:49:52:

> On 19/08/2009 8:31 AM, Petr PIKAL wrote:
> > Dear all

<snip>

> I would say the answer depends on the meaning of the variables.  In the
> unusual case that they are measured in dimensionless units, it might
> make sense not to scale.  But if you are using arbitrary units of
> measurement, do you want your answer to depend on them?  For example, if

> you change from Kg to mg, the numbers will become much larger, the
> variable will contribute much more variance, and it will become a more
> important part of the largest principal component.  Is that sensible?

Basically variables are in percentages (all between 0 and 6%) except dus
which is present or not present (for the purpose of prcomp transformed to
0/1 by as.numeric:). The only variable which is not such is iep which is
basically in range 5-8. So ranges of all variables are quite similar.

What surprises me is that biplot without scaling I can interpret by used
variables while biplot with scaling is totally different and those two
pictures does not match at all. This is what surprised me as I would
expected just a small difference between results from those two settings
as all numbers are quite comparable and does not differ much.

Best regards
Petr