[R] RGoogleDocs/RCurl through proxy

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Wed Aug 19 16:02:40 CEST 2009

Hi Remko

  There is a new version (1.1-0) of the RCurl package
(on which RGoogleDocs depends) (no binary for Windows at this point).

This version allows one to specify default curl options that are used
each time a new curl handle/object is created.

You set these defaults in R's own options() list, e.g.

   options( RCurlOptions = list(verbose = TRUE,
                                proxy = "host:port",
                                noproxy = "www.nytimes.com"))

The proxy option is most likely what you need to set.
You can specify the host, port, user and password in this string.
Or you can specify the user:password string via the 'proxyuserpwd'
option.  You can even specify the mechanism to use for authenticating
the user via the 'proxyauth' option.

libcurl (and hence RCurl) has several different options
related to proxies
http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/curl_easy_setopt.html

   D.