[R] mild and extreme outliers in boxplot

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Aug 19 23:58:32 CEST 2009

On 20/08/2009, at 9:39 AM, Gavin Simpson wrote:

	<snip>

> Criticising correct, if cryptic or highlevel, responses to a list
> where
> people give their time for free, *and* not provide a more complete
> solution is unfair, Rolf. The OP is free to respond and ask for
> additional help once they've given it a go if they are still having
> trouble..

	When the ``correct response'' is seriously misleading, as
	this one was --- the implication of the response was that
	the specified task *could* be done (if one looked hard
	enough at the help files), when in fact the specified task
	can't be done (at least not without substantial hacking)
	--- then I think criticism is merited.

	Also when a clear answer (``It can't be done.'') is as easy to
	give as an obscurantist misleading one (``RTFM'') then criticism
	is merited.

	There is a difference between saying RTFM to a poster who has
	clearly been too lazy to do his or her homework and saying RTFM
	to a poster when TFM is not at all clear with respect to the
	question posed.  There are so many arguments to bxp() that anyone
	might be forgiven for thinking ``There must be a way to do what
	I want; I just haven't twigged to the correct way of putting
	these arguments together.''  Deliberately steering a new user
	into such a misapprehension is unforgivable.

		cheers,

			Rolf Turner