[R] mild and extreme outliers in boxplot

Ottorino-Luca Pantani ottorino-luca.pantani at unifi.it
Thu Aug 20 09:25:01 CEST 2009

I'm very sorry for all this, but still serene.

I'm (trying) to use R since may be 5 or 6 years now.
What I learned from this list is that you have to show some code to let
others to help you out, a thing that Rnewbye did not in this particular
case.

I had a look myself at the help pages and see that "something" was there
that could help Rnewbye.
In particular

> outlty, outlwd, outpch, outcex, outcol, outbg: outlier line
>                type, line width, point character, point size expansion,
>                color, and background color.  The default 'outlty=
>                "blank"' suppresses the lines and 'outpch=NA' suppresses
>                points.
My answer was somehow provocative, but I was ready to help, not to
patronize (as many times I saw on this list).

I tried myself to change the appearance of the circles and other aspect
of the plot, uncorrectly assuming that it could be extended to the
problem of Rnewbye.

I surely made a mistake, and I apologize for this. This is is my only fault.

BUT PLEASE do not forget that if Rnewbye answered to my post (with a
piece of code for example) I would have helped him. As I was always
helped, harshly or not.

Ottorino

> This is the sort of response that gives R-help a bad name.
I did not know that R-help had a bad name.
I myself received sometimes some harsh answers, but never lamented about.

--

Ottorino-Luca Pantani, Università di Firenze
Dip. Scienza del Suolo e Nutrizione della Pianta