[R] Where to put source code?

Ron Burns rrburns at cox.net
Sun Aug 23 00:22:21 CEST 2009

Peter-

I use emacs and ESS.  Google r ess emacs and check out the first few hits.

I use a split screen with the R file to edit on the left and get the R
output on the right. Single line commands are executed with C-c C-n and
selected regions are executed using C-c C-r as well as a bunch of other
useful commands for R and, of course,  all of the editing power and
functionality of emacs. I am using linux, but it is said to work fine on
Windows.  There is an ESS help list too.

HTH,
  Ron

Peter Meilstrup wrote:
> I'm trying to move from Matlab to R, and I'm stuck even getting
> started. This sounds to me like the dumbest question in the world
> but... how does one put R source code in files? Over the last three
> days I've gone front to back through the Introduction to R and the R
> Language Definition, and while I'm excited that the language is so
> Lispish, none of what I read described how to write a function, save
> the source code in a file, and have it be usable other than directly
> entering the function definition at the command prompt.
>
> How do you edit your functions, where do you put the source files that
> contain your functions, how do you tell R to use function definitions
> from a particular file? How do you make incremental changes to your
> functions while debugging?
>
> I have not gone into the documentation about writing "packages" and
> "extensions" other than to glance at them and decide that can't
> POSSIBLY be the answer I'm looking for.
>
> I'm just looking for the local equivalent of (in matlab) writing a
> function, saving it as functionName.m and then being able to call
> functionName(). Or in Python of writing a module.py and then typing
> "import module" at the prompt.
>
> Again this feels like an extraordinarily stupid question. But for some
> weird reason I'm coming up with nothing in the FAQ or in Rseek.
>
> Peter

R. R. Burns
Physicist (Retired)
Oceanside, CA