[R] Between-group variance from ANOVA

Mark Difford mark_difford at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 25 09:52:26 CEST 2009

Hi Emma,

>> ...from this I can read the within-group variance. can anyone tell me how
>> i may find
>> out the between-group variance?

But it's in the table, above the "within-group" variance. Remember that F is
the ratio of these two quantities, i.e. the mean of the group variances
divided by the mean of the within-group variances . I will work with my
example since you never set seed so your answers are different from mine
(which really does not help matters).

set.seed(7)
TDat <- data.frame(response = c(rnorm(100, 5, 2), rnorm(100, 20, 2)))
TDat$group <- gl(2, 100, labels=c("A","B"))
summary(aov(response ~ group, data=TDat))

11225.25/3.64
[1] 3083.86

There is some rounding error on the mean squares (i.e. mean variances) but F
is correct. Using estimates calculated by a different route we have:

11225.249057/3.639801
[1] 3084.028

Does this answer your question?

Regards, Mark.