[R] [Rd] Formulas in gam function of mgcv package

Corrado ct529 at york.ac.uk
Wed Aug 26 14:53:53 CEST 2009

Dear Simon,

thanks again.

Concerning the whole 36 variables .... well, I have run a principal components
analysis, and I am only using part of them (I am running a test with the pc
which cover the 95% of variance and then the 99%). :) .... so I will possibly
end up with s(x1,....,x8). I wonder if using isotropic smoothers on principal
component is a good idea .... the variance diminishes from component to
component, so theoretically also the wiggliness of the smoother should be less
and less .... what do you think? am I saying something stupid?

If that is the case, and if I want to enclose some interaction, then I have so
include the interaction terms manually .... like s(x1,x2). Is that right?

Sorry for the avalanche of questions, but I am trying to understand the
principles underlying the working of gam in mgcv. It looks very powerful,
particularly for exploring dependencies.

I have run te() instead of s(), but the predictive power seems to be less than
with s() in this particular situation. At the same time, does te() include the
interaction? I did not understand well your previous point on interaction term
in te(): is te(x1,....,xn) build as an expansion from the t(x1), .... ,t(xn)?
Then all the interaction terms should be included ....

Finally, is it possible to incorporate both s() and te() terms in the formula?

Machine learning: I am not too well versed in the area. Did you mean
regression trees or maximum entropy models?

Best,

--
Corrado Topi

Global Climate Change & Biodiversity Indicators
Area 18,Department of Biology
University of York, York, YO10 5YW, UK
Phone: + 44 (0) 1904 328645, E-mail: ct529 at york.ac.uk