[R] teaching R

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Aug 26 15:25:21 CEST 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Michael Nestrud<mike at ataraxis.org> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am going to be running a small statistics workshop using R sometime
> in November.  I am restricted to R because of the specific libraries I
> will be using - a good thing in my book - however the attendees are
> unfamiliar with R.  I plan on giving as little R information as
> possible - just what is absolute necessary to run the statistics (the
> workshop is short, no time to spend hours teaching R).  Has anyone
> done anything like this?  Are there any public powerpoint/pdfs/etc.
> available for this type of application?
>
> Any advice / what works / what doesn't work is appreciated for those
> that have tried this before me.

 You could try my 'R in one page' document (which will be two pages if
you use a non-double-sided printer).

 Side 1 is a very simple introduction, and side 2 has some more
examples for people to cut and paste.

 OpenOffice source and PDF here:

http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/~rowlings/R/Simple/

 Feel free to take these and edit to your needs.

 There's more user-contributed docs here:

http://cran.r-project.org/other-docs.html

although a 360 page PDF called "An Introduction to R" is probably a
bit verbose for your needs.

Barry