[R] Installing rJava RJDBC bad interpreter: Permission denied

Matias Silva MSilva at specificmedia.com
Wed Aug 26 16:36:35 CEST 2009

Trying to install the above two packages via the "install.packages("package_name")" command and
the "R CMD INSTALL file.tar.gz".

I receive the following error either way "sh: ./configure: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied".
I have tried to chmod and chown permissions and also ran dos2unix in hopes that there is a CRLF
in some of the tar.gz files, but that doesn't seem to fix the problem.  I'm looking for any help
I can get.  Must I compile this to get this to work because of some incompatibility with the rpm packages??

* Installing *source* package ârJavaâ ...
sh: ./configure: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied
ERROR: configuration failed for package ârJavaâ
* Removing â/usr/lib64/R/library/rJavaâ
* Installing *source* package âRJDBCâ ...
** R
** preparing package for lazy loading
Error : package 'rJava' required by 'RJDBC' could not be found
ERROR: lazy loading failed for package âRJDBCâ
* Removing â/usr/lib64/R/library/RJDBCâ

I'm using the rpm version of R found here http://cran.cnr.berkeley.edu/bin/linux/redhat/el5/x86_64
I ran the "R CMD javareconf" as root and set the JAVA_HOME environment variable.

Here is my system configuration:
OS: CentOS 5.2 x86_64

JDK: java version "1.6.0_12"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.2-b01, mixed mode)

R: 2.9.1
rJava: rJava_0.7-0.tar.gz
RJDBC: RJDBC_0.1-5.tar.gz

Thanks for your time and knowledge.