[R] Select top three values from data frame

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Wed Aug 26 17:23:26 CEST 2009

Do you want just the values (i.e., a vector), or do you also want the
corresponding rows of the data frame?

What if there is a tie, or do you know in advance that within any
particular subset the values of B are unique?

What if the subset that meets the constraints has fewer than 3 unique
values? (which I think is the case in your example)

    tail(  unique( sort( df$B[  df$A=='x' & df$C < 2 ] ) ) ,3 )

Should do it (but I haven't tested).

Why does it get messy with over 100 columns?
I'll pretend for the moment that you have exactly 100 columns:
    1)  you will be doing this many times, each time with a different
sets of 3 columns?
    2)  you want the three highest values in each of 98 columns based
on constraints on the other two?
    3)  you want the three highest values of B based on constraints on
all of the other 99 columns?

Depending on what changes when more columns are involved, you might
be able to loop over columns with syntax like,

    for (nm in c('B','D','E') )   tail(  unique( sort( df[[nm]][
df$A=='x' & df$C < 2 ] ) ) ,3 )

-Don