[R] Submit a R job to a server

Bernd Bischl bernd_bischl at gmx.net
Thu Aug 27 11:32:03 CEST 2009

Noah Silverman wrote:
> Deb,
>
> I generally run my larger R tasks on a server.
>
> Here is my workflow.
>
> 1) Write an R script using a text editor. (There are many popular ones.)
> 2) FTP the R script to your server.
> 3) SSH into the server
> 4) Run R
> 5) Run the script that you uploaded from the R process you just started.

Dear Debrata,

if this is what you mean by "submitting a job", so just login in
remotely and starting the job manually,
you can do what Noah suggested in a more convenient way:

- many Scp / Ftp applications allow "editing on the server", meaning you
don't have to transfer the file after every change manually. I use a
combination of winscp and Notepad++ normally for this.

- read the man pages of the unix command screen (by typing "man screen"
on the server) to see how to get a permanent session that stays there
for you, after you detach from it.

Be sure to test your scripts on your local system before with easy (and
faster examples). For packages: The same requirements apply to the R on
server as for your local system, you simply need the same packages there.

Bernd