[R] R for reliability engineering?

MOPTKaHo jurgen.symynck at kahosl.be
Thu Aug 27 12:02:59 CEST 2009

Hello there,

I work as a researcher on the FATIMAT project, housed in 'Catholic
University College Sint Lieven', 'Technologiecampus Gent' (in Belgium) ,
dealing with fatigue testing machines (check
http://mechanics.kahosl.be/fatimat/ for more info).

I am using R for studying basic statistics and also for studying reliability
analysis. I started a small project on sourceforge for Weibull based
reliability analysis. There is an function that displays life data on a
Weibull plot as a straight line, mimicking the graphs I found in the
excellent "The New Weibull Handbook, 5th edition" by dr. Robert "Bob"
Abernethy.
As I am still learning R, statistics in general and reliability analysis,
and not being a brilliant programmer, the code probably isn't too reliable
yet. Later this year, students from our IT department and foreign students
will join the project to write some seriously beautiful code :-).

Check out the code at http://sourceforge.net/projects/weibulltoolkit/. Feel
free to join and give feedback!