[R] generating multiple sequences in subsets of data

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Aug 27 18:48:21 CEST 2009

On Aug 27, 2009, at 11:58 AM, Jason Baucom wrote:

> I got this to work. Thanks for the insight! row7 is what I need.
>

>> checkLimit <-function(x) x<3
>
>> stuff$row6<-checkLimit(stuff$row1)

You don't actually need those intermediate steps:

 > stuff$row7 <- with(stuff, ave(row1, row2, row1 < 3, FUN = seq))
 > stuff
    row1 row2 row7
1     0    1    1
2     1    1    2
3     2    1    3
4     3    1    1
5     4    1    2
6     5    1    3
7     1    2    1
8     2    2    2
9     3    2    1
10    4    2    2

The expression row1 < 3 gets turned into a logical vector that ave()
is perfectly happy with.

--
David Winsemius