[R] Plotting to stdout

Oliver Bandel oliver at first.in-berlin.de
Fri Aug 28 13:06:05 CEST 2009

Philipp Pagel <p.pagel <at> wzw.tum.de> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 07:53:57PM +0000, Oliver Bandel wrote:
> >
> > is there a way to write the result of a plot
> > to stdout? I mean even a binary thingy like
> > a png-file, written to stdout?!
> > I tried with the file-argument of png() and jpeg(),
> > but did not get working results.
>
> I don't think you can do that. But if you could elaborate on your
> ultimate goal, perhaps someone can provide an alternative solution.
[...]

The goal was to produce a picture in a web-environment.

At the moment rpy2 will be used.... maybe there are way to achieve something
like that in this way, but I'm also new to rpy2.

When the graphic could be written to stdout, the calling environment could reead
it from the forked process.

But maybe rpy2 works different.

Any ideas on that on-the-fly creation of pictures?
If there would be no temporary files this would be fine.
That's the reason why I looked for stdout as output channel.

Ciao,
   Oliver