[R] Google's R Style Guide

Kingsford Jones kingsfordjones at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 22:59:44 CEST 2009

A few thoughts:

-- As for naming preferences, in an interactive R session or answering
an R-help question I'm glad I can type

lm(log(y) ~ atan(x))

rather than

FitLinearModel(CalculateNaturalLogarithm(y) ~ CalculateInverseTangent(x))

-- For consistency, their function makeColName(...) should be MakeColName(...)

-- I was happy to see promotion of "<-".  Reading code using '=' for
both object assignment and argument setting is a little like
fingernails on a blackboard...again and again and...

-- It's nice that people have made these guides available

Kingsford Jones