[R] SVM coefficients

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Mon Aug 31 09:54:06 CEST 2009

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009, Noah Silverman wrote:

> Steve,
>
> That doesn't work.
>
> I just trained an SVM with 80 variables.
> svm_model$coefs gives me  a list of 10,000 items.  My training set is 30,000
> examples of 80 variables, so I have no idea what the 10,000 items represent.

Presumably, the coefficients of the support vectors times the training
labels, see help("svm", package = "e1071"). See also
   http://www.jstatsoft.org/v15/i09/
for some background information and the different formulations available.

> There should be some attribute that lists the "weights" for each of the 80
> variables.

Not sure what you are looking for. Maybe David, the author auf svm() (and
now Cc), can help.