[R] Best R text editors?

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Mon Aug 31 12:25:38 CEST 2009

Liviu Andronic wrote:
> Could someone give a brief and subjective overview of ESS. I notice
> that many people use it, and many describe it as the tool for the
> power user. As far as I'm concerned, I've once again looked at Emacs
> (after couple of years) and I still don't feel like using it for my
> editing purposes.

Hi Liviu,
I was going to steer clear of this one, as my favorite editor (NEdit)
has become mildly incompatible with my favorite window manager (KDE) on
my favorite operating system (Linux) and I have sadly taken to using
KWrite, hoping that things will get better. Still, one must not get
stuck in a rut, so I decided to download Emacs and try it again. Twenty
four megabytes poorer, I find that things are much the same. Emacs still
has that annoying trait of being determinedly incompatible with anything
else, even if the conventions are quite sensible. Thus most of my
keyboard shortcuts that I use all the time just don't work. Do I want to
learn Emacs shortcuts so that I will hit the wrong key shortcuts on all
my other applications? No way. As far as the connection to R goes, I
tried unsuccessfully some time back to write a general purpose function
that would connect any editor that could send a block of text back to R
and have it evaluated. I see that more and more editors are being added
to the rarefied list that can do this, and hope that one day this
apparently solveable problem will be solved and R users can use the
editor that they prefer.

Jim