[R] Offtopic, HT vs. HH in coin flips

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Mon Aug 31 21:55:55 CEST 2009

Well,

If the first flip is H, then the HT pattern occurs with the first flip in the second run (after however long the 1st run of heads is).  If the first flip is T, then the second run will be H's and the HT pattern will be the first flip of the 3rd run.  So the HT pattern will occur after 1 or 2 runs (at the beginning of the 2nd or 3rd).

On the other hand, the HH pattern can occur after any number of runs (given that the H runs are only 1 long).

This means that the HH pattern has a higher probability of being in the right tail of the distribution which will increase the mean.  The probability of HH or HT as the 1st pair is the same.

Just looking at the first 3 flips, the probability of HH occurring first at flips 2 and 3 has only 1 chance (THH, HHH means that the first HH was at 1 and 2) and therefore has probability 1/8.

The probability of HT first occurring at 2 & 3 has 2 options THT or HHT and therefore is twice as likely.

Does this help?

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center