[R] eigenvalues of complex matrices

Ravi Varadhan RVaradhan at jhmi.edu
Tue Dec 1 17:48:01 CET 2009

Hi,

You haven't given us much information.

You might actually have the same eigenvalues, but don't recognize that due
to possibly different orderings.  Complex numbers do not possess ordering.
Therefore, there is no natural way to report complex eigenvalues.  In R, the
complex eigenvalues are ordered in decreasing order of the absolute value of
"real" part, whereas in Matlab it may be that they are ordered in terms of
the modulus (absolute value) of the complex number.

I have used "arpack" before to obtain the first few dominant eigenvalues,
and the same issue of different "ordering" of eigenvalues also applies
there.

Ravi.

-------

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, The Center on Aging and Health

Johns Hopkins University

Ph: (410) 502-2619

Fax: (410) 614-9625

Email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu