[R] Interpretation of plots in linear regression models (verification of Gauss-Markov hypothesis)

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Wed Dec 2 21:27:16 CET 2009

1) that is a loess smooth curve of the plotted points, looking at the help ?plot.lm would lead to the panel.smooth function that does the actual plotting.
2) It is described on the help page for plot.lm.
3) The basics are described on the help page.  If you don't know what a leverage or Cook's distance is, then you probably should not be looking at that plot, and probably not doing any real regression analyses.

You should consult a good book or other reference on regression (or at least the regression chapter in a basic stats book) to learn these things.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org