[R] documentation of intersect() on string vector and num vector and on duplicated elements

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Dec 2 22:51:19 CET 2009

On Dec 2, 2009, at 4:33 PM, Peng Yu wrote:

>> intersect(c(1,3,2),c('1','3'))   # note x is numeric and y is
>> character
> [1] "1" "3"
>
> Apparently, intersect() treats num as string. But this is not
> documented in the help. Could somebody add it in the future version of
> R?

It is documented that intersect will return a value of that is same
mode as its "y" argument. How could it be any more clear?

> Also according to the help, the argument should not have duplicated
> elements.

That's not what my help page says. It says that "conceptually" they
won't have them, but immediately thereafter it says:
"Details
Each of union, intersect, setdiff and setequal will discard any
duplicated values in the arguments, and they apply as.vector to their
arguments (and so in particular coerce factors to character vectors)."

Unfortunately, R does not have a package that will ensure that users
will read the help pages carefully.

--

David