[R] Replying to Posts Within Same Thread

Charlotte Maia maiagx at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 09:50:22 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 1:15 AM, Ted Harding
<Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> There is an issue which does not seem to have been raised yet in
> this thread. In her original post, Charlotte Maia said she was
> receiving messages in Digest form.
>
> There are two Digest options: "Get MIME or Plain Text Digests?"
> You can choose which one to use, if you opt for Digest format,
> when setting your subscription options in the R-help configuration
> page at
>
>  https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/options/r-help
>
> In a plain-text Digest, all the messages are bundled into a single
> message. Therefore when you reply to one of these you have to edit
> out everything except the bit you are replying to; and also the
> "Thread-relevant" headers of the original messages will heve been
> suppressed -- only headers for the Dugest message will be present,
> and these will have nothing to do with the threads that the separate
> original messages belonged to.
>
> On the other hand, in a MIME Digest, each of the original messages
> is attached as a separate attachment, along with its original headers.
> A mail agent which is "MIME-Digest-aware" will allow the user to
> open up each attachment separately, as a single message, and reply
> to that. Then the mail agent *should* incorporate these headers,
> including those which identify the thread.
>
> So, if you use Digest format, choose MIME Digest, and use a mail
> agent which works properly!
>
> Ted.

Hi,

I have changed my settings from plain text to MIME (doesn't apply to
this post, which is a response to a regular email, with r-help on the
cc line).

We'll see how things go, if my future posts appear threaded properly
then we can assume this was the issue. If not, then I'll keep playing
around.

Me being the old-school kind of computer geek that I am, naturally go
for plain text...

thanks to all those who responded to this topic
--
Charlotte Maia
http://sites.google.com/site/maiagx/home