[R] matrix data appears corrupted.. appears to be pairs of decimal numbers glommed together

Stephen Grubb Stephen.Grubb at jax.org
Thu Dec 3 21:02:46 CET 2009

Hello,

We are occasionally getting matrix results that appear to be corrupted... here are the last several rows of an example, copy-pasted out of the R command window.  These are supposed to be floating point numbers.

[25015,]  1.820848e-01-3.2090e-06i
[25016,]  2.178046e-01-4.8140e-06i
[25017,]  1.820848e-01-3.2090e-06i
[25018,]  1.820848e-01-3.2090e-06i
[25019,]  1.144594e-01-1.6657e-06i
[25020,]  1.820848e-01-3.2090e-06i
[25021,] -1.293271e-01+4.3889e-06i
[25022,]  1.144594e-01-1.6657e-06i
[25023,]  1.820848e-01-3.2090e-06i
[25024,]  1.820848e-01-3.2090e-06i
[25025,]  1.173487e-01-4.4415e-07i
[25026,]  1.820848e-01-3.2090e-06i
[25027,]  1.375304e-01-3.6167e-06i
[25028,]  1.820848e-01-3.2090e-06i
[25029,] -1.293271e-01+4.3889e-06i
[25030,]  1.820848e-01-3.2090e-06i
[25031,]  1.820848e-01-3.2090e-06i
[25032,]  1.820848e-01-3.2090e-06i
[25033,]  1.820848e-01-3.2090e-06i

Any general idea what may be going on here?

It is a sporadic problem... it occurs maybe 2% or 3% of the time when running this particular script on various data.

I apologize for not including a pared-down example that reproduces the problem.... we are using an R script written elsewhere on large data sets.  If someone wants more specifics please follow up.

Steve Grubb