[R] z to r transformation within print.rma.uni and forest from the package metafor

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) Wolfgang.Viechtbauer at STAT.unimaas.nl
Fri Dec 4 17:06:20 CET 2009

Dear Sebastian,

Glad to hear you find the package useful.

Before I get to your questions, just as an aside - you can leave default arguments out of the call. So:

MAergebnis<-rma.uni(ri=PosOutc, ni=N, data=dm,
slab=c(dm$Article, dm$StudyNo), measure="ZCOR", method="DL")

would do exactly the same as your call.

As for your questions:

a) Correct. The tau2 argument is only there if you want to fix tau2 to a particular value (e.g., for sensitivity analyses). If tau2=NULL (the default), then tau2 is estimated from the data. Hmmm, I see how tau2=NULL could be misleading. Maybe I should change the default to something else.

b) Correct.

c) Correct (i.e., 1/(ni-3)).

d) And again correct.

e) Correct. Since the meta-analysis is conducted on the transformed values, they are also stored in the model object. The results shown (e.g., the model intercept) is the estimated value of mu in the transformed units.

Now, if you want the estimated value of mu in correlation units, use:

predict(MAergebnis, transf=transf.ztor)

When you draw a forest plot and you want to show the study results in correlation units (and not the transformed units), you have two options:

forest(MAergebnis, transf=transf.ztor)

will backtransform the transformed values (and the corresponding CI bounds). Since this is not a linear transformation, the CIs will not be symmetric.

Alternatively, you can use:

forest(MAergebnis, atransf=transf.ztor)

which will transform the x-axis appropriately so that you do get symmetric CIs (but a non-linear x-axis).

So, try out:

forest(MAergebnis)
forest(MAergebnis, transf=transf.ztor)
forest(MAergebnis, atransf=transf.ztor)

and see how the plot changes to better understand this.

I hope this helps!

Best,

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer                        http://www.wvbauer.com/
Department of Methodology and Statistics    Tel: +31 (0)43 388-2277