[R] lm: RME vs. ML

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Tue Dec 8 17:37:02 CET 2009

A contrarian point of view:

If you have so little data (relative to the number of parameters to be
estimated, especially NONLINEAR parameters like covariance estimates)that
the ml vs reml bias could be large, then there's so little information
anyway that such bias is the least of your problems (identifiability
probably is a major issue-- mis-shapen confidence regions).

Ergo, worrying about df (ml vs reml) is just a silly obsession of
statisticians (of which I'm one).

Criticisms, public or private, welcome of course.

This is my view only and should not be considered a stain on my employer --
other than its misfortune in employing me.

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics