[R] Upgrading To 2.10 from 2.6.2

Tue Dec 8 19:43:22 CET 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 6:24 PM, stephen's mailinglist account
<stephen4mailinglists at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Iain Gallagher <iaingallagher at btopenworld.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Steve
>>
>> Have you tried:
>>
>> apt-cache search gfortran
>>
>> in a terminal window.
>>
>> Then
>>
>> sudo apt-get install theRelevantPackage
>>
>> I think you also need the Universe repos enabled.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Iain

Apologies posted with some unintended HTML format which was scrubbed on list

repost

Why not add the CRAN repository to your sources list in Ubuntu and let
your package manager (synaptic?/apt?) sort it out for you.  Version
2.10 is available here for Hardy.  It is a good way to keep your
version of R up to date without worrying about what is happening with
the rest of your machine, which may be quite comfortably stable, and
it saves the hassle of you having to compile it yourself

see pages at http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/

You will need to add a line similar to the one below to /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://<my.favorite.cran.mirror>/bin/linux/ubuntu hardy/

you could edit the file directly or do it via synaptic or Gnome menu
(system/admin)
 has an entry for software sources.

Stephen