[R] How to figure out which the version of split is used?

Peng Yu pengyu.ut at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 02:20:47 CET 2009

There are a number of functions that are dispatched to from split().

> methods('split')
[1] split.data.frame split.Date       split.default    split.POSIXct

Is there a way to figure out which of these variants is actually
dispatched to when I call split? I know that if the argument is of the
type data.frame, split.data.frame will be called? Is it the case that
if the argument is not of type data.frame, Date or POSIXct,
split.default will be called?