[R] Sources for open sourced homework questions for R?

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 19:02:05 CET 2009

Hi Dave,

I have a few drills available from http://had.co.nz/stat405 - see the
right hand column, about half way down.  They seem similar in spirit
to what you're thinking of. You might want to look at the "Little
Schemer" for a similar approach with a different programming language.

However, I'm not sure how pedagogically useful this approach is. If
you break things down too finely, you don't teach the problem solving
skills necessary to attack a new problem. Students will try and solve
the problems as rapidly, using as little of their brain as possible.
I also feel like these small problem fail to invoke any intellectually
curiosity - why the heck should I care that mtcars has 32 observations
and 11 rows?

I'd suggest starting with a big problem that's of interest to the
students - how do we detect spam? What determines the price of a used
car on ebay?  Do soap operas influence baby name trends? Are my
facebook friends representative of the university as a whole? Then
talk about how you might attack the problem in general, before getting
to the concrete tools you'd use in R.

Hadley

http://had.co.nz/