[R] Problem with calibrate function

Rodrigo rodrigocpdosreis at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 18:32:25 CET 2009

Frank E Harrell Jr wrote:

> Rodrigo wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I´m trying to use the calibrate function from rms package (made by prof.
>> Harrell) after fitting a model using cph. But it returns the following
>> error
>> message:
>>
>>> calibrate(modelo1,B=200,bw=F,u=13)
>>
>> Using Cox survival estimates at  13 Days
>> Convergence problems.... stopping addition
>> Error in hare(S[, 1], S[, 2], fun(est.surv), maxdim = maxdim, ...) :
>>  no convergence
>>  this is serious!
>>
>> Has anybody experienced the same problem? Can anyone help me?
>>
>> many thanks,
>> Rodrigo
>

> Rodrigo,
>
> This is a new feature in rms and there are probably a few warnings I
> need to put in the help file.  How many events are in the dataset used
> to develop your model?  Why did you specify bw=FALSE (which is the
> default)?  Did you use any variable selection when building the model?
>
> Frank
>
> --
> Frank E Harrell Jr   Professor and Chair           School of Medicine
>                       Department of Biostatistics   Vanderbilt University

Professor Harrell,

There is 186 observations leading to 31 events. The bw=false option
was slip, as I was trying different options to see if could run the
command. As expected being the default option, without it gives me the
same error message.

No automated variable selection model was used. Only variables that
were significant on the univariate analysis and clinically important
were used (4 predictors).

Thanks for the quick reply,
Rodrigo