[R] random effects in mixed model not that 'random'

Thomas Mang thomasmang.ng at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 17:20:22 CET 2009

HI,

Thanks for your input; see below

On 12/13/2009 4:41 PM, Robert A LaBudde wrote:
> I think what you are finding is that calling a grouping variable a
> "random effect" is not the same thing as it actually being a random effect.
>
> An effect is really only random when it is chosen randomly. Just because
> you don't want to deal with it as a fixed effect (e.g., too many levels)
> doesn't mean it qualifies as a random effect. This sloppiness in common
> in mixed modeling.

Well to some degree the species were chosen randomly, so there isn't a
big selection bias in there. I also argue they wouldn't qualify as fixed
effect (they might as stand-alone fixed effect factor, but definitely
not as interaction with other predictors - there is no reason to believe
the impact of predictors is totally independent across species).
Sample size isn't the problem; I truly wouldn't want to include them as
fixed effect based on expert knowledge.

> In your example of student scores, you mentioned the schools were a
> random effect, because they were a grouping variable. This is not true.
> Schools have a strong fixed effect. They are also not chosen randomly in
> your student.
>
> How to resolve your problem? Two methods: 1) Stop modeling the grouping
> variable as a random effect, when it's not: Model it as a fixed effect;
> 2) Do the experiment right: a) List the schools in their population. b)
> Chose the schools to be used by random sampling from that population.
> Then you will find schools really is a random effect.

1) does not seem to be the right solution.
2) is more interesting in terms of understanding:
Are you saying that it's just the random choice of why something was
included in the sample is what makes it qualify as random effect ? I
thought the fact that it is the realization of a random variable (drawn
from a N(0, sigma) distribution). These are two different things.

Suppose I list all the schools in the population and randomly pick 15.
IIUC, you would argue now it qualifies as random effect. However, once I
have chosen my schools I could still investigate the estimated random
effects coefficients, a posteriori investigate the schools and try to
find out what discriminates those with students above average from those
below average. Odds are, if I had the resources to make a thorough
investigation, I would find something - or in other words, because there
is something deterministic behind it, I would have said they are not the
random realization from a normal distribution - which was my
understanding of properties of random effects so far, but which might be
wrong and hence the problem (although due to the complexity of this
deterministic process, they might practically appear as random
realizations). If I would pick a 16. school and then apply my knowledge
from the investigations, I could probably say if it will be above or
below average - this is what, in my understanding of random effects,
actually would not qualify it as random effect, whereas according to you
it would, if the school was chosen randomly. Is that correct ?

Suppose I have chosen randomly: Does it make sense to investigate a
posteriori why the estimates for the random effects are the way the are
and find insights on the system, or would it not make sense as they are
assumed complete random realization of a random variable and can be
anything because they are random variable ?

To some degree I think the issue can also be seen the following way:
Conditional on my extensive knowledge of the school properties, the
schools are probably not distributed iid. I could have this knowledge
enter as fixed effect. But since this knowledge is usually not available
the unconditional distribution might well make them iid N(0, sigma), and
hence makes the schools qualify as grouping variable for random effects
(where of course it is assumed that now sampling was done randomly from
the population).
But what shall I do if I have a bit of the extensive knowledge available
-> maybe too much to sticking to the complete unconditional iid
assumption, but also not enough for a sensible conditional distribution
to allow the specification of a fixed effect ?

thanks
Thomas