[R] help with graphing -- Points in my graph are not apparent, always displayed in steps

philip robinson robinsp3 at students.wwu.edu
Mon Dec 14 00:06:26 CET 2009

Sorry to have not provided enough information in my prior post. Here is a
summary of the calculation set that I am doing. The histograms have changed
since my last post, but I am not so concerned about them. The scatter plots
do not show all of the points, they seem to round off to the most common. I
have tried doctoring the  http://n4.nabble.com/file/n963172/ESTATS ESTATS
file to get a different result, but received no change.

removeOutliers<-function(dataset){
	return(
		dataset[
			max(sort(dataset$words)[1:(length(dataset$words)/100)])<dataset$words &

dataset$words<(min(sort(dataset$words)[(99*length(dataset$words)/100):length(dataset$words)])+1),,
			]
		)
	};

edat.src<-read.csv("ESTATS",head=TRUE,sep="\t");

edat<-removeOutliers(edat.src);

# Only address the subset where there exists appropriate conjunctions within
the sentence
temp<-edat[edat$R2SC>0,,]

png("egraph_rules_list_2.png",width=800,height=700,res=72);
par(mfrow=c(2,2));

#	graph that i am having trouble with, it does not seem to reflect the data
#	The scatter plots are not recognizing all of the data
qqplot(x=temp$words,y=temp$R2SC,ylab="With Rules applied SC",xlab="Number of
Words",col="blue",main="Subordinating Conjunctions\n(Number of Words)");
hist(temp$words,col=heat.colors(max(temp$words)),main="Subortinating
Conjunctions \n-- Number of Words");
temp<-edat[edat$R2CC>0,,]
qqplot(x=temp$words,y=temp$R2CC,ylab="With  Rules applied CC",xlab="Number
of Words",col="purple",main="Coordinating Conjunctions\n(Number of Words)");
hist(temp$words,col=heat.colors(max(temp$words)),main="Coordinating
Conjunctions \n-- Number of Words");
dev.off();