[R] help: forest plots

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) Wolfgang.Viechtbauer at STAT.unimaas.nl
Mon Dec 14 09:55:26 CET 2009

If you have the bounds of a 95% CI in the form of:

exponential(estimate +/- 1.96*SE)

then it is easy to get the SE back:

SE = (log(UL) - log(LL)) / (2*1.96)

Then supply the estimates and the SEs to the forest() function:

forest(estimate, sei=SE)

You can use:

forest(estimate, sei=SE, transf=exp)

if you want to exponentiate the estimates and CI bounds. Alternatively, you can use:

forest(estimate, sei=SE, atransf=exp)

to exponentiate the x-axis values.

Best,

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer                        http://www.wvbauer.com/
Department of Methodology and Statistics    Tel: +31 (0)43 388-2277