[R] MLE for a t distribution

Kjetil Halvorsen kjetilbrinchmannhalvorsen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 00:49:13 CET 2009

Brian Ripley sometimes on this list or elsewhere suggested to
reparametrize as 1/k. I have used that with good results. But you
should be aware that
usually data contains very little information about k, so thhat
if you do not have a lot more than 100 observations you coukld
be out of luck. You should try to plot the likelihood as a function of k,
possibly also the profile likelihood.

Kjetil