[R] Instrumental Variables Regression

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Tue Dec 15 16:15:40 CET 2009

Dear Jinsong,

I assume from your question that X3 and X4 are also available as
instruments. Then, if you use tsls() in the sem package, you could formulate
the model as tsls(Y ~ X1 + X2 + X3 + X4, instruments = ~ A + B + X3 + X4,
data=yourData). See ?tsls for a similar example.

It is, by the way, misleading to say that X1 "has" two instruments and that
X2 "has" one instrument, in that all instrumental variables, including
presumably the variables in the equation that you're taking to be exogenous,
must be uncorrelated with the error.

I hope this helps,
 John

On