[R] Inserting .png plots in MS Word.

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sat Dec 19 19:49:11 CET 2009

On 19/12/2009 1:28 PM, Wenjie Lee wrote:
> Hi R Users,
>
> I'm using following sample code to save png plots.
>
> png(file="sample.png", width=8, height=6)
>
> Then I copy or use "insert pictures" function to get the image into MS Word.
> After copying, if I try to stretch or re-size the image it starts getting
> distorted. Is there a way to standardized graph pixels so that the
> sharpness of the graph is maintained (at least for minor
> stretching/re-sizing). Is it possible to achieve this?
>
> I know I can change width and height, but I have to submit this .doc file to
> my adviser and he may need to re-size it.
>
> Any suggestion would be highly appreciated,

If you want to resize the graphic, you shouldn't use a bitmap format.
Use .pdf, .eps, .wmf, etc.  It's still best to generate the graph at the
final size (to get fonts and line widths right), but you'll get better
results than with resizing a bitmap.

I don't know which vector formats your advisor's version of MS Word
supports, but presumably their docs will tell you.

Duncan Murdoch