[R] Lattice boxplots

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Dec 19 23:55:13 CET 2009

Felix Andrews just today  posted an answer to a question on filling
the bwplot rectangles with color and using a line instead of a dot for
the median.

I think you will find it difficult to get the hatching for two related
reasons, one aesthetic and the other the fact that patterns are not
readily available. The second reason probably stems from aesthetic
sensibilities of the graphics experts and the influence of Tufte and
Cleveland in trying to eliminate the "chartjunk" fostered by Excel.

--
David

On Dec 19, 2009, at 5:36 PM, Peng Cai wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm familiar with bwplot() in lattice package. Is it possible to get
> such a
> boxplot using lattice package:
>
> http://www.reading.ac.uk/ssc/publications/graphics/mma-fig1.gif
>
> instead of the following default:
>
> http://media.wiley.com/wires/WICS/WICS22/mfig005.gif
>
> My aim is to get a compact boxplot for publication. Having legend
> can help
> because otherwise x-axis labels are repeated for each rectanglular
> box.
>
> Thanks,

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories