[R] StructTS standard errors

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Dec 22 18:52:20 CET 2009

On Dec 22, 2009, at 11:55 AM, Giovanni Petris wrote:

> David,
>
> Thank you for the insight.

Right.

> HA1) StructTS() ships with R in package stats.
>
> HA2) I don't see anything strange or unusual in looking for standard
> errors
>         of estimated parameters. In structural time series the only
> unknown
>         parameters, estimated by StructTS(), happen to be variances.
>         (Incidentally, I know how to take square roots in R)

Yes. I figured most of this out after doing a bit of searching. Both
of my off-target points amply illustrate my lack of experience with
this particular time-series function.

So let me ask a question: Would the domain of stochastic processes be
relevant here? I am wondering if the theoretical results in Ito
calculus might let you assign a more reasonable estimate for future
behavior. My memory is that random processes with measured (past)
variances under conditions of "temporal homogeneity" (there's probably
a more mathematically correct terminology)  should have a predictable
relationship to the underlying variance parameter.

--
David Winsemius

> Best,
> Giovanni