[R] Help with makeClusters for Snow

SVM szaman at myway.com
Wed Dec 23 06:38:34 CET 2009

Hi Everybody,

I know that R has snow package which can be used for Parallel Computing.
However, every time I try making a cluster, the only type of cluster I'm
able to make is the "SOCK" (that too because I disabled the firewalls). For
the rest (i.e. MPI, NWS, and PVM), I get error every time I try making one.
I get the following errors

> cl = makeCluster(c("localhost", "localhost"), Type="MPI")
Error in make.socket(serverHost, port) : socket not established
> cl = makeCluster(c("localhost", "localhost"), Type="PVM")
Error in make.socket(serverHost, port) : socket not established
> cl = makeCluster(c("localhost", "localhost"), Type="NWS")
Error in make.socket(serverHost, port) : socket not established

On top of that, I couldn't find the MPI/NWS/PVM libraries for windows. I've
looked for them all over the internet but I can't seem to find any resources
for it. I even tried installing them directly from R, (i.e.
install.packages(rmpi) or install.packages(mpi)), they don't seem to exist
in the repository any longer.

Can anyone please help me with this. Also, where can I find them and how do
I install the PVM, MPI, and NWS packages?

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Steve