[R] Building static HTML help pages in R 2.10.x on Windows

Steve Rowley sgr at alum.mit.edu
Sun Dec 27 22:03:30 CET 2009

>Heinz Tuechler wrote:
>> At 21:40 22.12.2009, Steve Rowley wrote:
>>> (a) how to build the static HTML help pages of all currently
>>>     installed packages under Windows, [...]
>
>At least two ways:
>
>Way 1: reinstall all those packages from sources using
>   R CMD INSTALL --html
>
>Way 2: go to the man directory of a source package and apply
>   R CMD Rdconv --type="html" *.Rd
>to all Rd files.

Ok, thanks.  That's starting along a helpful path.

The first way sounds dicey on Windows, since some of the packages require tools that I
probably have installed (e.g., as part of Cygwin), but have never thought about how to
hook together.

The second way sounds useful if I want to download the source for all the packages in
addition to the binary installers that I already have.

Is there any way to do this from the Windows binary .zip files, or from the installations
generated thereby?  After all, R generates the HTML on the fly somehow, so the information
is present; IWBNI there were a way to use that to generate the static HTML.  (Looking
through the installation dirs doesn't show very many .Rd files.)
--
Steve Rowley <sgr at alum.mit.edu> http://alum.mit.edu/www/sgr/