[R] problems in building R with libpng/cairo/jpeg

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Mon Dec 28 00:29:31 CET 2009

Hi,

I'm installing R 2.10.1 under Linux but I don't know why my
installation does not support png/cairo/jpeg:

> capabilities()
    jpeg      png     tiff    tcltk      X11     aqua http/ftp  sockets
   FALSE    FALSE    FALSE    FALSE    FALSE    FALSE     TRUE     TRUE
  libxml     fifo   cledit    iconv      NLS  profmem    cairo
    TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE    FALSE    FALSE

Here is some system information:

***@*** [~]# uname -srvmo
Linux 2.6.28-10.7.intel.IGB.BHsmp #1 SMP Thu Aug 13 21:52:24 MDT 2009
x86_64 GNU/Linux

***@*** [~]# rpm -qa | grep -E 'libpng|cairo|pango|libjpeg'
libjpeg-devel-6b-37
libjpeg-6b-37
pycairo-1.2.0-1.1
libpng-devel-1.2.10-7.1.el5_3.2
pango-1.14.9-6.el5.centos
cairo-1.2.4-5.el5
libjpeg-devel-6b-37
libpng-1.2.10-7.1.el5_3.2
libpng-1.2.10-7.1.el5_3.2
pango-1.14.9-6.el5.centos
cairo-devel-1.2.4-5.el5
pango-devel-1.14.9-6.el5.centos
cairo-1.2.4-5.el5
libjpeg-6b-37
libpng-devel-1.2.10-7.1.el5_3.2

It seems that all necessary libraries have been installed, and the
configure script can find libpng and jpeglib but cannot find pango and
cairo (even using --with-cairo):

***@*** [~/etc/R]# ./configure --prefix=$HOME/bin/R
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking whether pkg-config knows about cairo and pango... no
checking whether pkg-config knows about cairo... no
checking if jpeglib version >= 6b... yes
checking for jpeg_destroy_compress in -ljpeg... yes
checking for main in -lz... yes
checking if libpng version >= 1.0.5... yes
checking for png_create_write_struct in -lpng... yes
R is now configured for x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

  Source directory:          .
  Installation directory:    /***/bin/R

  C compiler:                gcc -std=gnu99  -g -O2
  Fortran 77 compiler:       gfortran  -g -O

  C++ compiler:              g++  -g -O2
  Fortran 90/95 compiler:    gfortran -g -O
  Obj-C compiler:

  Interfaces supported:      X11
  External libraries:        readline
  Additional capabilities:   PNG, JPEG, TIFF, NLS
  Options enabled:           shared BLAS, R profiling, Java

  Recommended packages:      yes

configure: WARNING: you cannot build DVI versions of the R manuals
configure: WARNING: you cannot build DVI versions of all the help pages
configure: WARNING: you cannot build PDF versions of the R manuals
configure: WARNING: you cannot build PDF versions of all the help pages

After I make & make install, jpeg, png and cairo are not supported.
I'm a Linux novice. Any hints for my installation? Thanks!

Regards,
Yihui
--
Yihui Xie <xieyihui at gmail.com>