[R] What might be the security issues from installing R?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Dec 29 00:37:07 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 6:23 PM, Peterson, Eric B. <ebpeterson at usbr.gov> wrote:

> My guess is that we may run into problems due to R being open-source, leading to a potential perception that the code might be poorly controlled. This could be further complicated by the need for downloading additional open-source packages.  At present, I am not aware of any open source software that has passed through the approval process, though I am also not aware of any policy against open-source.

 The 'Core' of R is code committed (and therefore 'controlled') by a
smallish group of  people:

http://www.r-project.org/contributors.html

 The real problem would come when you start adding additional packages
from CRAN or R-forge or some other source. These are written by
hundreds or possibly thousands of people.

 I've not heard of any malicious code ever being found in an R
package, but maybe one day I'll sneak a back-door server into one of
mine and see how long before it gets spotted. I don't think any formal
review of CRAN package code is ever done (someone may prove me wrong
here, but there's zillions of lines of code in CRAN now).

Barry